MarkMonitor

Projects:

User research to answer some key product questions:

How do analysts tasked with stopping counterfeit sales and fraudulent websites find, evaluate, enforce, and check for compliance?

Many of MM’s problems involve human oversight using long grids of data, which requires data shaping (filter, sort, search etc…) There are a lot of ways to do this, and we tried and tested most all of them.

How do customer users actually consume reporting information, and what form of this data makes it to the decision makers responsible for renewals?

Many things regarding reporting: Most services for enterprise make a lot of hay about dashboards and reporting, often as a kind of sales tool or narrative tool. Many actual users come to dislike dashboards as a roadblock to where they really want to be. Another use for reporting really might better be termed investigative or discovery reporting.  The polished and restrictive kinds of status charts don’t always serve this well, so I did some design work around a more flexible investigator friendly way to do things.

Example of dash as a kind of sales tool — the concept is cute…

Used for vision presentation to show an overview of infringement and compliance across an enterprise.

Visual and interaction Design

The visual design for much of the work done for markmontor was defined by the toolkit (ext.js) they used. Its a pretty common restriction in enterprise where a tradeoff exists between consuming well engineered controls that do complex things with no ability to ‘brand’ vs simple controls with lots fo visual flexibility but narrow capability. With few dedicated UI engineers, we pragmatically made the most of a robust toolkit at the time of initial redesign. Visuall it resembled the windows release of its time (win7) Near the end of the project, MM endeavored to move off the legacy for a state of the art infrastructure, and with it the opportunity to make things more styled. I worked to staff a competent visual designer, and provided guidance to workflow and gotchas.

Last Project: Domain redesign:

gallery of contact manager changes.

My last project for MM entailed the redesign of the services interface for the registrar part of their business, with a contact manager as the project that would set the stage for a larger redesign. Most people carry some idea of what a contact manager is from their phone or computer as a simple directory. Registrars maintain far more technical information than that:  each registry,  for example china, ‘.cn’ carries forward a set of regulations which may require a lot of extra data. Companies with global presence may need to supply local tax ids, local contact information, identification documents etc… Once assigned, many registries will charge large amounts of money to arbitrarily change select bits of information or reassign contacts. We kept close contact with users throughout this process (they sat next to our dev team) so that there was a constant back and forth with mockups and prototypes to complement more formal studies.

 

There’s a lot of nuance, and though I can’t share much about the work